Monday, January 30, 2006

It's not just a job

I really enjoy the random "Ed" moments in life. And that last one was a great way to kick off the week at work. I was worried about Grandma, and excited about the week ahead in Deerfield. A little anxious that I wouldn't recognize co-workers that I'd seen only once a year ago ... but definitely excited.

At the end of the week, I just have to say again how much I love my job, and adore my co-workers. Without going into a blow-by-blow of the week:

  • I didn't remember everybody by sight, but it didn't matter. They're all great, and take things like that in stride.
  • When I determined that I was going to leave a day early in order to make Bessie's funeral, and consequently miss out on the single planned social event of the week ~~~ which is what we're all there for, a few co-workers formed a little party out the night before. Thanks to Heather, Rob, Mark, Ross, Kathy, ... it was a good night out, and another great chance to form bonds with co-workers I don't often get to see. And that for the most part I haven't worked closely with either.
  • And I feel so much gratitude to everybody there ... particularly my bosses Irina and Paul, and co-worker Ron ... for being so kind and understanding. I know it shouldn't be so uncommon, and for some people maybe it isn't, but I don't think I've ever worked in an environment where my co-workers and superiors make such an effort to take notice of the events in my life, good and bad, and respond with kindness, support, encouragement, and all those great things.

I do work for a good company, but it's so much more important that my group within the company is the best group in the world. If I'm exaggerating, it's only by a little.

No comments: